Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
July…has been a heatwave. And I have changed my mind- I like the winter better than the summer when the summer is 30 degrees Celsius! It has been incredibly difficult to get anything done. My life has basically been sat next to a fan praying for the hot weather to go away. Not productive. Nope. Fingers crossed for a slightly cooler August!
Despite the heat and fan issues, I have got some writing done this month. I’ve gone through a bit of an editing-related learning curve in July. Into the Unknown, because I wrote it without even a hint of a plot, has a lot of plot issues. So it’s not a simple second draft – well, relatively speaking, anyway. I think I’ve come up with a system. I have a clear idea of how I want it to feel now, so I consider that progress. As a result of me changing my mind a few times about how to write the second draft, CampNaNo didn’t go to plan. It’s a mess. A mess I am not even going to think about.
As always, I’ve written a few flash pieces (maybe poetry? I’m not sure) on my other site. 🙂
- A Darker Shade of Magic by VE Schwab | Goodreads review
- A Gathering of Shadows by VE Schwab | Goodreads review
- A Conjuring of Light by VE Schwab | Goodreads review
- Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert | Goodreads review
- Turtles All the Way Down book review
Interesting Internet Finds
- Using the term High-Functioning – I’ve heard of this term, but I had no idea where it came from or how it came to be applied to those of us with relatively stable mental health conditions
- Joanna Penn’s 2018 Breakdown of Book Sales – I’ve been following the Creative Penn for a good few years now. It’s encouraging to see how she’s grown her book sales, and how she makes an income from her writing.
- 5 Reasons to Read a Poem Every Day/Night – this blog post caught my eye as I keep meaning to read more poetry, and as I’m going to be studying it in September (and writing it) I thought this would be an interesting thing to challenge myself to do.
Until next time…