Defining feature of November: I’ve won NaNoWriMo!!! 😀
(Though only just and at the last minute.)
It’s been difficult, fitting it in around college, but after failing last year (due to extreme life changes) it feels extra special to know that despite having started college and trying to fit all the life stuff in, I am still capable of winning NaNo. 🙂
I’ve written a two essays for college, and I’m not waiting with held breath for them to be marked and returned. I feel a lot of pressure to do well, so I’m feeling quite stressed. Even though I know it’s okay if I don’t get top marks this time. I’m only at the start of the course, it’s easier said than done to internalise that.
I’ve also made a decision. I am going to be self-publishing more of my writing, and starting to move towards the goal of making a living from my writing. Several people have passed through my life recently, and all seem to be carrying the same message – do what you love, life’s too short to waste time doing things you don’t want to do. Obviously, there are always going to be things we have to do to survive, but long-term? Follow your dreams, what’s the point otherwise?
- 50,105 words on Rabbit!! 😀
I’m aiming to keep writing Rabbit and get it finished by the end of December, and the end of the year! (Scary thought!) So, if I can get 1000 words a day, which after NaNo, shouldn’t seem so bad, then I should get it finished.
- Starting to plan my Christmas short story (see below)
Books Read This Month
- Goldenhand by Garth Nix
- Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
- The Girl of Ink & Stars by Karen Millwood Hargrave
- The Man Who Mistook \his Wife For A Hat by Oliver Sacks
- The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
- I also officially decided to DNF The Amber Spyglass by Phillip Pullman – I finally decided that I wasn’t interested in finishing the book. For me, I didn’t feel that there was enough motivation, that the stakes weren’t strong enough to keep me interested. I am proud of the fact that I was able to analyse the story and work out what was wrong though.
This Month’s Posts
Interesting Internet Finds
- Movies by Her – an interesting website that only lists films directed by women
- A Twelve Realms Prequel by Rachael Ritchey – this is a short story posted in parts over on Rachael’s website, and on Wattpad. I’ve been enjoying reading it, though I have got a little behind…must catch up! Even if you’ve not read her three books in the Chronicles of the Twelve Realms series, you can still read this and enjoy it. 🙂
I’ve decided to do Blogmas this year, or at least, my version of it. I’m going to try and post every day in the run-up to Christmas. It won’t all be Christmas-related content, and they won’t all be long posts, but it will all build up to a short story posting on the site on Christmas Eve.
So, until tomorrow, when my weekly update post shall go live, go in peace.